Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Series I Never Finished

This goes without saying, but there are a lot, a lot, of book series out there. I've started a fair few, but most of them, I've never finished for one reason or another. Sometimes, it's because of not having enough time. Sometimes, I've just outgrown the series or my tastes simply changed. In any case, here's a list of the series I started, but never finished.


8490112
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

The first time I read this book, I loved it. I thought the story was interesting. The urban fantasy elements were great and I couldn't wait to read the next one in the series. But since books don't just appear out of thin air, I needed to wait for the second book to be published. The second book came out, but I decided to reread Daughter of Smoke and Bone before buying it. And I realized that I wasn't really into urban fantasy any longer. The book wasn't quite as captivating as I expected it to be.


7735333
Matched by Allie Condie

This series, similar to the previous one, was one I stopped reading because my tastes changed. I read the first two books, Matched and Crossed but decided not to pick up the third book. I guess that while I like dystopia, I don't really like this kind of dystopia, which centers around a society where the government chooses your spouse for you.

10429045

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

This book was recommended to me by a friend years ago. It was when everyone was obsessed with dystopian fiction. She loved this book, so I said I'd give it a try. And I just didn't like it. Maybe my friend had hyped it up a bit too much, setting my expectations too high. I just felt very disappointed by the end and didn't want to continue.


345627
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Back when vampires were all the rage, I picked up the first book in this series. I thought the book was fine. I didn't hate it, but I also wasn't impressed. As a result, I didn't see a reason to keep reading the series. It's run-of-the-mill urban fantasy in my opinion, which is a genre I no longer gravitate towards.

234225. sy475
The Dune Saga by Frank Herbert

When I refer to "the Dune saga" I'm referring only to the six books Frank Herbert wrote, not the later books that were written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. I read four of the six books in this series, dropping the series after God Emperor of Dune. There was a huge shift in overall tone between Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune and I wasn't a huge fan of it. I realized I wasn't enjoying the series anymore, so I stopped reading.


11. sy475
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

I don't really have a long, drawn-out explanation for this one. I read the first book in this series, but I haven't read the second one yet. I don't know if I'll ever read the rest of the books in the series. I haven't made a deliberate decision to stop, but I don't feel compelled to continue.


37442. sy475
The Wicked Years by Gregory Maguire

I loved Wicked. I felt only so-so about Son of  A Witch, so I stopped reading the series. There are two more books, but I'm not likely to read them. I feel like Wicked should've just been a stand-alone, rather than the first of four books. I wasn't overly concerned with what happened in Oz after the Wicked Witch of the West was out of the story.

Follow Me Elsewhere: Facebook \ Twitter \ Goodreads \ Instagram

Buy Me A Coffee?

3 comments:

  1. This has been rather enlightening! I have only read a few book series and always finished them (books were too rare a commodity for me to not finish a story I was already invested in). I hadn't thought about books releasing slowly or even losing interest in a story in between 2 installations because of tones (since it was always old series that were fully out).

    Do you normally read books in series as they come out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it's about 50/50 in terms of reading series that are completed versus series that are still being added to. Lately, I've been trying to focus on completed series since I've had so many "in progress" series fall off the map for me.

      Delete