Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Blogtober Day 9: Favorite Vampires

Types of Vampires…

There are a lot of vampires in fiction. This is mostly because of vampires, or vampire-like beings, having a noticeable presence in folklore. Some are demons that are completely terrifying. Others sparkle in the sunlight and seem to wander around high schools. Some are made of felt and teach children to count. Others sell cereal. My point is, we've made and remade the vampire more times than I could count. Yet, with so many vampire characters, and so many different types of vampires in fiction, everyone has to have a favorite. I'm going to talk about a few of mine since we're getting close to Halloween and vampires fit into the spirit of the season.

Image result for count von count

Count von Count, Seasame Street
I'm starting off with the first vampire character I, and many others, ever see. Count von Count, the friendly vampire resident of Seasame Street. Yes, he's a Muppet who teaches children to count, but given his general appearance and the fact he's a parody of Bela Lugosi's Count Dracula I'm counting him (pun intended). The Count loves counting and he'll always have a special place in my heart for that. Also, I'm a math nerd, so me liking Count von Count really isn't shocking.

Image result for spike buffy

Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel

Spike was a great character on Buffy. Angel was as well, but sometimes he was a little too broody and that annoyed me. He wasn't explicitly a "I want to kill you" type of vampire, but he also wasn't like vampires in Twilight, The Vampire Diaries or True Blood who just wanted to fit in or be normal. There was no desire to pretend to be human, or more disturbingly, hide as a high school student. He was a token bad boy, but also not completelt evil. Spike was cool and added something to vampire mythos that was missing, a sense of humor.

Image result for dracula

Count Dracula, Dracula

I can't reasonably talk about my favorite vampires without mentioning Dracula. While vampires had been part of folklore for centuries, Bram Stoker's novel was what brought them into prominence. He's the archetype vampire that later characters were based off of, with a number of his strengths and weaknesses being used in later characters. There is a reason why when most people hear "vampire" they picture someone who looks like Dracula, and not Robert Pattinson. Dracula is a classic vampire. He defined the genre. Without Dracula, we might not have Buffy, True Blood or the dozens of other vampire characters or stories that we do,

These are my three favorite vampires, what are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment