Sunday, October 27, 2019

Blogtober Day 27: What type of horror movie villain would you be?

Hello everybody. We're officially 4 days away from Halloween and its time to get extra-spooky. I read a lot of horror novels. I watch a lot of horror movies and that got me thinking: if I was the villain of a horror movie, what kind would I be?

Part of me wants to say a slasher/chainsaw wielding maniac, only because I can't think of a single horror movie off the top of my head, that has a female slasher villain. Except for the original Friday the 13th but since every later film had Jason as the killer, the fact that he's not the killer in the original has been forgotten by most. I don't think I would do very well, either, mostly because 1) I'm clumsy and would most likely cut myself in half, not my intended victims and 2) I don't do well with blood.

I wouldn't want to be a demon or a ghost, because that would mean I was either dead or had just escaped from Hell. So, I'd already be in a sucky situation from the start. Being dead doesn't seem like fun. As for being a demon, I could do it, I just wouldn't love it. Monster-horror is also out, due to the fact that most monster-horror isn't scary any more. It consists of jump-scares and a lot of gore but very little suspense or tension.

Which is exactly why I'd want to be the villain in a psychological horror movie. Those are the ones I find the most interesting. It's not about the blood and guts and creative kills in that subgenre, it's about the mind. Messing with people's minds. In some psychological horror films, there's no clearly defined villain. Sometimes, its a cult or some unseen force orchestrating events, other times it's the protagonist's own mind creating the suspense. In others, there's a clear bad guy or group of bad guys directly causing trouble. Regardless of which "type" of psychological horror villain, I'd want to be one, since it fits my flair for the dramatic. I think I'd do particularly well as part of a creep cult when I think about it.

What type of horror movie villain would you be?

No comments:

Post a Comment